M-Day is here! I am sans beard, and now ‘stached up for November - commonly known as Movember! I’m assuming everyone knows what Movember is, but for those that don’t, this is a brief explanation:
Grow a moustache in November to raise awareness of male prostate and testicular cancer, and get people to sponsor you for sporting said ‘stache.
(if you can’t be bothered to read the rest of the blog, please donate here:http://mobro.co/secretlyswedish)
So basically, look like a twat for a month, but all in the name of a good cause (and a bit of fun). I’d recommend heading over to the Movember website, as there’s more info - such as the fact that prostate cancer will effect 1 in 9 men, during their lives, and 10,000 a year die from it. Like I said, this is a really worthwhile cause! http://movember.com (The consideration gone in to the design of this years campaign is amazing too, and worth a look in its own right!)
The Movember website states that you have to start Movember clean shaven, but I’ve chose to bypass this. Why? Well here’s a few reasons:
- I can grow facial hair with very little effort, so starting the month clean shaven wasn’t going to make a big difference.
- For me, Movember is about raising awareness of male cancer, not just your ‘stache growing ability. I know I can grow one, so by wearing a ‘stache from the first day of Movember, I’m in for the hole month, and not a day is wasted!
- To expand on the above point, if I’m going to look like an idiot, for a good cause, I might as well do it for the whole month, and skip the growing period!
- When everyone else that doesn’t usually have facial hair is done with this month, they can just go back and shave it off - I’m going to have a week in December where I still have a handlebar, whilst the beard grows back it. I’m actually doing an extra week
- I live in trucker hats and checked shirts, so the fact that I’m going to have a handle bar for a month will make this doubly humiliating, as I’m gonna look like a scrawny trucker!
- Finally, there has not been a point in the last 7 years where I haven’t willingly not had facial hair, and even for a good cause, I wasn’t going to to go fully bare. I’m sorry, you can call it a cop out, but I think the above points justify it.
- Add to that, tomorrow night I have a “party” with pretty much every client we work with attending. It’s going to be much more humiliating / satisfying for me to meet them wearing this thing above my upper lip.
So that’s it - bring on the challenge! If anyone would like to sponsor me, for this amazing cause, please follow the link: http://mobro.co/secretlyswedish